LANSING, Mich. — The state Senate on Thursday passed legislation to restore hundreds of millions in funding that was cut by the governor last year, announced Senate Majority Floor Leader Peter MacGregor.
“The programs that are funded in this important legislation will help them continue to serve thousands of Michigan’s most vulnerable residents who rely on their services every day,” said MacGregor, R-Rockford. “From health care and adoption services, to workforce training and continuing education, to environmental conservation, this supplemental provides the vital funding needed to adequately serve our community, and I encourage the governor to sign the legislation quickly.”
MacGregor said the legislation also includes $25 million for state efforts to combat the coronavirus.
Programs MacGregor fought to restore funding for include:
- $1.4 million to increase rates for private duty nurses.
- $1 million for child advocacy centers that help law enforcement solve child maltreatment.
- $700,000 increase for adoption services.
- $500,000 for court appointed special advocates who are trained volunteers that speak up for the best interests of abused, neglected, or abandoned children.
- $250,000 for the Adoptive Family Support Network, which connects adoptive parents to 24/7 support, education and resources.
- $250,000 for the Kent County Kids’ Food Basket, which helps provide underserved children and families with fresh, locally grown food.
- $250,000 for the Kent County Conductive Learning Center, which supports children with motor disorders.
Other programs that received restored funding include:
- Going PRO talent fund that rewards employers for helping train, develop, and retain current and newly hired workers.
- The popular and successful Pure Michigan travel and tourism campaign.
- Centers for Independent Living to support people living with disabilities and their families.
- The Van Andel Institute, an independent biomedical research and science education organization.
Senate Bill 151 now goes to the governor for her signature.